Worship & Events
WHAT TO EXPECT:
We value a creative and engaging traditional service that highlights our intergenerational commitments. Each Sunday we incorporate every age and ability into various components of our worship:
- A lay liturgist assists Pastor Emily in leading the service
- Our children enjoy lighting the candles, participating in Faith Lab with Pastor Emily, and learning together in Sacred Circle Sunday School (mid-way through the service).
- We all gather around after passing the peace of Christ to share in the Lord’s Prayer.
- Pastor Emily preaches a scripturally-based sermon that relates to the daily-life transformation of our faith.
- Our choir (all are welcome!) sings an anthem each Sunday from Sept. through May.
- Our musically-inclined of all ages offer Special Music from June through August.
- The 1st Sunday each month we gather around an open communion table (all are welcome!)
- The 1st Sunday each month we invite all children and youth to take part in our simple and spirited bell choir.
- The 5th Sunday of each month we offer a service of healing & anointing.
You are welcome to come to worship AS YOU ARE. The dress is casual.
There is parking on Highland and Prospect around the church building and in the back of the church building, there is an alley with plenty of parking.
There are several entrances into the church building, the handicapped entrance is on Prospect. We also have an elevette for those who may have mobility issues.
COFFEE & CONVERSATION at 11am:
People will be happy to meet you! There is a weekly time for fellowship following worship down in Bradford Hall. This is often an occasion to celebrate special milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, baptisms, graduations, etc. Let our office know if you’d like to host a coffee hour. The 1st Sunday of each month is always open for individuals or groups to host!
Baptism is the affirmation of God’s beloved call on our lives. We do baptism at any age, often with the youngest among us, and have held adult baptisms at the river as well as in worship. We believe that this Mystery of faith is a gift to be received and celebrated in the life of the community. Any and all are welcome to receive this gift, wherever you are on life’s journey. We simply want you to experience for yourself the love which God has poured out over you through Christ’s death and the promise God makes that we can become a new creation! Speak with Pastor Emily about your interest in being baptized!
Communion is shared in our congregation, the first week of every month and is an open communion. Even if you are not a member of a church, we believe that Christ is interested in getting to know you. None of us are good enough to ‘deserve’ a seat at Christ’s table, but he welcomes us all by grace. We remember that he always sat with ‘sinners’ as the Scriptures tell us and so we come to the Table, knowing that we all arrive by grace. It is a reminder to us of Christ’s radical hospitality.
First Congregational United Church of Christ
123 North Highland
Pierre, SD 57501
- 8:30 am: Pastor-led Bible Study
- 9:00 am: Choir Practice
- 10:00 am: Worship Service | Sunday School | Nursery
- 11:00 am: Coffee and Conversation
- 7:00 pm: Monthly Youth Group Events
- 1st Wed: 5:30pm Messy Church
- 2nd Wed: 5:30pm Board Night
- 2-4th Wed: 7:00 pm Confirmation